Or
maybe I’m just finally losing my mind in Chineseland. My Chinese 312 final exam is tomorrow at 1:00 p.m., and
preparation for it involves the rote memorization of every single vocabulary
word I’ve learned this entire semester, in addition to writing a 2500-3000-character
essay about morality and economic development.
It
really strikes me just how obsessed the Chinese are with their country’s
“economic development” or “jingji fazhan”. If you’re not Chinese, going to
China, and want to sound like you have half a brain once you arrive, then there
is one phrase that you must understand: 经济发展(jing1ji4
fa4zhan3). Economic development is
the underlying theme of Chinese textbooks, the topic of dinner table
conversation in Chinese families, and the single-minded goal of the Chinese
government. It’s what worries
Western policymakers and thrills Chinese businesspeople. Skylines in China are dotted with what
the Chinese call a “forest” of construction cranes, even in the countryside.
But
that’s the stuff of my homework, not my blog. Because finals happen to be this coming week, this weekend I
have spent more time than completely necessary studying at the Sally McDonnell
Barksdale Honors College (with occasional change-of-scenery trips to the
beautiful Ole Miss library). I'm such a wild college kid. My "last
Saturday night in Oxford" for this school year consisted of washing and folding t-shirts at the
sorority house with my nose buried in James J. Sheehan's "The
Transformation of Modern Europe" and Wu Suo Bu Tan, my boyfriend of a
battered- no, rugged- Chinese 312 textbook. Yippee skippy!
Right
now, I’m definitely not in China.
I am seated in a comfortable office chair in a spacious (not crowded)
room, enjoying the pleasantly unnatural chill of central air conditioning, a
warm cappuccino from Micky D’s, and the opportunity to visit a Western-style
women’s restroom just down the hall.
Just these tiny details remind me of just how far removed Oxford,
Mississippi is from Qingdao, China. By glancing out the window of the honors college's third-floor study
room where I've been camped out all morning, I can make out the outlines of
magnolia trees, partly-cloudy blue skies, and the pillared, red-brick outline
of the Ole Miss Inn. I appreciate these Western pleasantries so much more
now that I know how students live in China.
Studying
for finals like I am right now, I don’t know how I could handle eight-student
dorm rooms the size of those in Crosby, with a single bathroom stall down the hallway and air-drying laundry speckling the porches outside. Or studying in library study rooms so
crowded that most college students sit against the wall or squat on the floor and use
other textbooks as writing desks. Or the excellent bed I slept on during my
ten-day home stay: a metal bed frame, with a piece of pressboard constituting a
“mattress.” My “sister” placed
newspapers over the pressboard so that I wouldn’t get splinters while I slept,
and she graciously gave me a blanket to sleep under. It was really cozy. When I asked if I might have a sheet or
second blanket to sleep on, my Chinese family
softly muttered about the “greedy” and “bizarre” foreigner living in their home.
This
leads us to a NEW! Chinese word of the day: 温馨 (wen1 xin1). It means
"cozy", like "Wow, your apartment is so wen xin!" or “my
study set-up at the Honors College is pretty wen xin” or even “gee, this sleeping
arrangement isn’t wen xin at all.” That crazy-looking xin to the right of wen
xin is part of my name. It turns out that there are many, many characters
that are all pronounced “xin” in Chinese.
The Chinese language only has a set number of pronounced syllables, but
thousands of characters to apply these sounds to, so 新(meaning
“new”), 心 (meaning “heart”) and 信
(meaning “letter”) are all pronounced xin (sheen). So, when Chinese people meet each other, they identify
themselves by giving each character in their name a context. I might say, “Hi,
my name is Xia Xin. It’s the xia from summertime, and the xin from cozy.”
It
seems that I have spent a good portion of my study time today writing this blog
post. Procrastination takes many
forms. But it’s intensely studying
the Chinese language that encouraged me to write this post, and through my
studying I’ve reflected on how far I’ve come in the last year. I guess I have mixed feelings about
going back to China this summer.
Last summer, my experience was mixed: while my language skills improved
immensely and I gained a profound understanding of many of the intricacies of
Chinese culture, I was simultaneously plagued with homesickness, culture shock
and relationship troubles. At
least this year I know what to expect and can mentally prepare for the weeks to
come.
As far as this week is
concerned, the best I can do is gather my thoughts and concentrate my efforts
on preparing for difficult exams.
One last vocabulary lesson: 加油 "jia1 you2" literally means "add oil," and figuratively has the meaning of "be stronger" or "you can do it" or "go team!" If you want to encourage someone or even cheer on your home team, Jia you!! is the phrase to use. So for this week, Ole Miss jiayou! We can do it! Si se puede! And all that jazz.



Is that a bathroom in China?
ReplyDeleteNo.. it's one at the Ole Miss Inn! I'll post pics of real Chinese bathrooms this summer.
ReplyDelete