Really though, describing my first week in China could take up an entire blog in itself, though I've been so busy with my homework and teaching assistant duties that I've barely had time to sleep and eat meals, let alone post on my somewhat neglected China blog. I don't even know how to begin. How about some pictures?
So yes, Qingdao has beaches. Qingdao people describe their ocean as 天海一色 (tian hai yi se), or the sky and sea are the same color. I can't even tell where the fog ends and the ocean begins in the background! This beach is called Shi Laoren, or the Old Stone Man, because somewhere off the coast there is a big rock shaped like a sitting old man. Sadly I wasn't able to see it Monday, but I did get to climb on the rocks.
You might remember that some weeks/days ago I posted a lovely picture of a typical bathroom at the Ole Miss Inn, with its seated toiled, spacious sink, and clean appearance. In contrast, this is an average rest room at most public places in China: a luxurious space featuring pretty tiles, waste basket, and a comfortable flush toilet. Very posh, right? This particular specimen is found in the building where my classes are held.
Speaking of restroom facilities, take a look at the little girl on the right's breeches. No, they don't have a random patch of skin-colored fabric on the backside; Chinese babies indeed do NOT usually wear diapers in Qingdao, and to accommodate for this deficiency their pants simply allow them to squat and relieve themselves whenever and wherever they feel the need, without shedding any clothing. So yes, the road on the way to class from my dorm is vaguely tinged with the splendid odor of human urine. All the good smells, right?
And here's a quick look at the awesome kids I'm spending my summer with: the Ole Miss Flagship Chinese gang. The large red twirly thing behind us is the Wind of May statue, which was put up as a tribute to the May Fourth movement protests in Qingdao. Basically, the port city of Qingdao was handed over to the Japanese in the early part of the 20th century. This event inspired Chinese students to protest and eventually led to the creation of a new wave of literature in China.
And now for a look at Qingdao's bizarre, sometimes absolutely delicious, and other times terribly unappetizing food. First come drinkable things: Coke Light (or healthy Ke Kou Kele) and beer that comes in plastic bags, and is poured out of barrels on the side of the street at 3 in the afternoon:
Hai xian, or seafood, is Qingdao's specialty. Because of Qingdao's proximity to the famous Tsingtao Beer Brewery, Qingdao people can cheaply drink as much QingPi, or Qingdao beer, as they want, while stuffing their faces with every sort of sea creature that could imaginably be consumed. It looks like the sea slugs below are trying to make a run for it:
Qingdao seafood is good and all, but I particularly like Sichuan-style food, known for being numbingly spicy. I was so excited when I ordered the dish below that I almost danced on the table, but decided against it because the 热水, or boiling water that is served as a beverage in Chinese restaurants, might spill and burn people. Below is 宫保鸡丁,or what we Americans lovingly know as Kung Pow Chicken!
Another, slightly less appealing Sichuan delicacy that I tried at this restaurant was the super-spicy soup below. The Chinese T.A. who accompanied waited until I forced down a good bit of the soup before telling me the secret main ingredient: pig's blood!!
And, last but not least, street food in China is an experience in itself. My favorite roadside delicacy is the spicy 馄饨汤, basically won ton soup, shown below. And guess what? Like some Qingdao beer, it's also served in a plastic bag!
So there's a quick glimpse of my Qingdao experience so far. Hopefully, time permitting, I can be much better about blogging from the Middle Kingdom in the weeks and days to come. Please let me know.. China's weird, isn't it? What would you like to see more of in my blog? Comment away, and 加油!
Enjoyed reading! Glad to have you in the blogosphere
ReplyDelete